> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:07:40 -0600
> From: "G. Scott Walters" <gscottwalters at gmail.com>
> Subject: [tclug-list] hardware and case suggestions
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
>
> My circa 1998 pc-turned-server lost it's power supply sometime
> yesterday afternoon.
>
> *moment of silence*

*mourns* I feel your pain - been there done that.
> Now, I'm shopping for a newer system that I plan on building myself
> and the VERY cheap. Here are my requirements:
> 1) quiet

Depends on fans.  Highly subjective.  What I consider noisy someone else
might not.  If it's really a concern shop around for some low decibel
cooler fans - try TigerDirect.

> 2) child-proof (my 20 month old son enjoys pushing buttons, especially
> power buttons).

Case with a front panel lock - best solution though for kids is an
enclosed server rack with a door - it keeps the little tikes  from
chewing on or pulling out cables besides pushing buttons.

> 3) small

Try a microATX or Shuttle case.
> 4) fast

This changes by the day.  New chips are on the way, so prices and speeds
are all over the place.

> 5) built-in firewire (or available PCI slot)

I haven't seen a motherboard in the last 5-10 years that didn't have at
least 1 PCI slot. A great many of the new ASUS, Abit, and other major
board makers have Firewire as an option on their boards, especially on
the high end.

> So, given these specs, where would be the best place for me to start
> shopping? Any specific hardware recommendations?

Try TigerDirect or CDW.

--
T.J.

"I believe C++ instills fear in programmers, fear that the
interaction of some details causes unpredictable results. Its
unmanageable complexity has spawned more fear-preventing tools
than any other language, but the solution _should_ have been
to create and use a language that does not overload the
whole goddamn human brain with irrelevant details."
-- Erik Naggum