On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 10:02:49AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> I think it is on topic but I have some questions about what sorts of laws
> we should have.  Will "neutrality" legislation discourage companies from
> creating new networks for, say, high-speed video transmission?  Is it
> wrong for a company to build a network and then control how it is used?

As long as it is using public land (via eminent domain (obtained now
or last century through the railroad acts)) or tax concessions, it is wrong.

> I like the internet the way it is, but I would like to see further growth
> and expansion encouraged.  I don't want to see the internet replaced with
> a collection of corporate nets, but is that really going to happen?

You and I and the application provider pay our ISPs for access. Why
should I pay (and be identified and tracked) at every hop en route?

What benefit would that bring to everyone, except the toll operator?
And even if the toll operator would actively "grow and expand" his
road/network, what kind of improvements would offset the incredible
complexities of billing and the privacy invasion?

I really hate the toll-roads (and parking meters to some extent ;) ).

florin

--
There was a typo, but on the wrong page.
   -- Vipin Kumar