On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:16:56AM -0500, Ryan wrote:
> On 5/22/06, Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:
> > Some businesses and organizations (banks and government agencies, for
> > example) have some insane standards on drive destructions.
>
> Now, if only those same institutions had good procedures in place for
> shipping backup tapes around and disclosing data theft in a timely
> manner, that would be nice.

The good ones don't need to disclose data theft - they encrypt the tapes
so if the tape goes missing, it won't do anybody any good.  We're
starting to see Decru/NetApp and Neoscale tape encryption devices pop
up.  For example, a large local bank has appliances to encrypt their
tapes.  The more companies that have these, the safer we'll be (and no,
I don't have any relationships with the appliance vendors).

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org