On Tuesday 16 May 2006 11:11 pm, Tim Link wrote:
> I am finally going to upgrade my server running Fedora Core
> 1 (I know, I'm behind the times) and was thinking about
> using FC5. But, as I read the posts on this list, it appears
> that Debian has found it's way into the hearts of many as
> far as it being a preferred distro for servers. Why is this
> the case? I truly am not into distro wars but was just
> wondering if Debian has a better track record than the
> others, longer up-times, etc.
>
> If the concensus is that it just really doesn't matter at
> all which distro to use on a server, that will be enough for
> me.  Thanks.

My observations/opinions

Debian - Very stable. Runs a little older but trusted version of applications

SuSE - Stable, good user interface application, fairly up to date. Have this
installed on lots of servers

Slackware - not much experience/exposure
Fedora - same
ubuntu - same

Gentoo - my preferred distro. very flexible, very up to date, fairly stable (i
dont have problems with it as a server or on my desktop for the last 4 years)

Redhat enterprise - stable, fairly up to date

mandriva - i used it back in 97-98 (it was called mandrake). it was a pretty
decent distro back then, i expect it to have only gotten better.

All in all i'd say all distro's are going to be close to the same for a
server, with the possible exception of source based distros (gentoo, etc)
since updating a packages usually takes a little more time since it compiles
the package before installing it. Other than that, I would be that they are
all pretty much the same overall.

They all run the same kernel - yes, commonly with their own distro based
modifications, but really, what differences are there to end users?

They all run the same applications - difference primarily in
installation/update method and where the files are stored on the filesystem.

They all support the same hardware for the most part.

For me it really comes down what included applications/management utilities
are included in the distro. I choose Gentoo because it has an awesome
application management system called portage based on FreeBSD's ports. Gentoo
also has a tendancy to keep config files logically located in /etc (like the
BSDs).