Damn ... I went through all of this too soon.  But, I will get it into
the archives in the event anyone else runs into this problem.  *shakes
head*  I must say, things like this are the reason more people do not
convert to Linux ... no don't flame me for that comment.

The following link shows the solution.  I did not have the same verbatim
error message discussed below, but I knew the problem was with how the /
point was being mounted.  So I gave it a go and it worked.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?
t=433048&highlight=error+mounting+%2Fproc

I pasted the text below in the event that thread disappears, then the
text of that message can be found here.

The following was taken from the link above - they deserve credit for
the solution.

++++++++ solution posted below ++++++++++

Here's the fix

After almost giving up on Fedora 5, I finally got the fix to this
problem.

The suspend signature on swap error, "Trying to resume from LABEL=SWAP-
hdd3. No suspend signature on swap, not resuming", can be ignored. It
gives this error because when the volumes are activated (look at the
output previous to this error), it resumes the swap partition in that
step. Therefore, it's trying to resume something that isn't suspended.

The error that causes all the trouble is "mount: could not find
filesystem '/dev/root'". Appartently, in the init script within
initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img, the command 'mount /sysroot' is trying to
mount /dev/root to /sysroot. Fedora 5 does not use /dev/root like in the
previous versions of Fedora. Instead, it uses '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00'
or '/dev/hda1' (or whereever '/' is located) to mount to /sysroot. For
some reason, when init calls 'mount /sysroot', it's trying to
mount /dev/root to /sysroot, instead of /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
to /sysroot. This messes up everything after this step in the init
process. When it does a switchroot at the end, it fails. After killing
init, it causes the kernel panic.

Here's the fix:

1) Boot with the rescue CD
2) Type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' (wherever it mounts the Fedora 5
partition)
3) 'cd /boot'
4) 'mkdir newinit'
5) 'cd newinit'
6) 'gunzip -c ../initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img | cpio -idmv'
7) 'vi init'
8) Find 'mount /sysroot' (near the end of the file)
9) Delete or comment this out
10) Replace with 'mount -o defaults --ro -t
ext3 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /sysroot' where /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
is the mount point for /
11) ':wq' out of vi
12) 'find . | cpio --quiet -c -o >../newinitrd'
13) 'cd ..' - you are now in /boot
14) 'mv initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.bak' -
backup current initrd img file (just in case)
15) 'gzip -9 < newinitrd > initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img'
16) Reboot the computer without the CD

* Steps 4-6,12,13,15 were taken from another site, but I couldn't post
the URL. I'll try in my next post.

This should fix it. I'm glad I can finally run Fedora 5 on my box.