auditodd at comcast.net writes:

> My brief search for a dual processor MB has specified the Athlon MP for
> processors.

thats because MP stands for Multiple Processors

> Does anyone know if the XP can be installed in place of an MP processor
> and still work?
>
> From what I've been able to find so far, there doesn't appear to be any
> difference.

There is a very big difference, AMD has locked the XP models to NOT work in
SMP. Now i have heard of motherboards that work around that lock, more
commonly people have used the pencil trick to fool the motherboard(or the
processor, dont remember which) into thinking that the processor is an MP.
It goes something like this: using a pencil draw a line between point X and
Y on your AthlonXP to make it an MP. Needless to say this will in fact void
your warranty.

So, no the XP will not work in SMP mode unless otherwise hacked.

--
Munir Nassar