On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 08:39:29AM -0500, Don Stauffer. wrote:
> I've just installed Mandriva 2005LE on a spare computer- my first go at
> Linux.  I'd like to get it on line. I have a DSL account, and a wireless
> DSL modem, so I have to get the Linux machine working with wireless.  In
> modern Windows machines I have a wireless setup daemon accessible from
> the 'control panel'. Is there anything similar to that in Linux?

The very latest distributions of Linux (Fedora Core 5, Ubuntu 6.04 and
Suse 10.x) have "Network Manager": a wizard that helps you set up the
card, assuming you have the proper drivers installed.

> For two of my windows machines I use a wireless transponder that plugs
> into a USB port.  What do I need to use that with the Linux machine?  I
> assume I need to install some sort of driver?  How about if I use a PCI
> card wireless adapter/transponder.  Can I get a Linux driver for any of
> those?

Depending from the manufacturer and the date of production the effort
ranges from impossible to merely extremely difficult. I do have a
D-Link USB dongle that has three free software drivers (ralink), neither
of which works with my choice of kernel and distribution. One driver
was published by manufacturer and works on old kernels (2.6.10 or so),
another is in constant rewrite and moved from one Softmac stack to
another and the third has been abandoned.

I remember some posts a few months ago that described USB dongles that
people got working. The best thing would be to use those hints,
search the web for updated information, and bring you machine and
wireless hardware to the installfest on June 3rd. Somebody might be
able to help you there.

Sadly, the wireless situation in Linux is quite a mess.

florin

--
There was a typo, but on the wrong page.
   -- Vipin Kumar