I actually just did this for my brother and am in the process of doing it
for my sister, with two late-'90s/early-00's Dells.  (And I'm learning a lot
about XFCE!)  Anyway, one of the nice things about doing this sort of thing
for the "computer illiterate" is that, IMHO, it seems to lead to fewer
questions and frustrations and an easier learning curve, because their needs
are much simpler, they're not going to try and mess with their system, and
they have fewer Windows habits to unlearn.

I set up the root account for me, a user account for my brother, put a panel
with commonly used apps in the bottom-middle of the screen with big
friendly-looking icons and tooltips, gave my brother a half-hour tour, and
sent him on his merry way, and he's been doing just fine, in a month I
haven't had one phone call.  With the added bonus of feeling like I really
did something worthwhile instead of wasting my afternoon cleaning out
spyware!