Anyone have any words of wisdom on wireless connections?  I'm running
Kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu) on my notebook with built-in wireless card.  I have no
trouble at all when I'm home and I connect to my own router (with NAT and
WEP).  But when I try to use a "free wireless" at a library or Dunn Bros
(where I am now), getting a connection is hit-or-miss.  I usually start
with KWiFiManager, which always finds the access point right away.  But I
can't get an IP address through dhcp with any consistency.  Most of the
time, nothing happens for 5 to 10 minutes (when I lose patience and try
something else).  Once in a while, after several false starts, everything
works and I get a connection.

I've tried most of the options with the command-line commands:  ifconfig,
iwconfig, ifup, ifdown and so on, but I've never found anything that gets a
connection.  I've tried all the combinations in KWiFiManager -- they seem
to be equivalent to the command-line options; the GUI's a little easier to
read.

I don't know if it means anything, but dmesg adds lines "wlan0: no IPv6
routers present" for every time I hit "Activate" in KWiFiManager.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Kraig Jones