I'm working on a small personal project.  (and by working, I mean doing
other projects, occasionally thinking about it and how nice it would be
to get done)  I have a RAZOR cell phone and I've linked it to my Gentoo
server through a USB Bluetooth adapter.  I've had pretty good success
with it so far.  I've sent pictures to the phone, but I haven't sent
anything from the phone yet.  The project goal is to link my online
horde calendar with the calendar on the cell phone.  Setting up a cron
job that runs once every few hours to attempt a connection with the
phone and, if successful, push the new calendar entries to the phone.
This would be really cool since I wouldn't have to do anything to sync.

The phone can accept different "objects" through the bluetooth
connection and place them where they are supposed to go.  So a Java app
will be installed as a game, and a picture will be saved in the photo
gallery.  Though I can't find any info on using this for date records.
There's a sync protocol that it uses, but first glance shows it to be
fairly complex.  With those two being my only options for syncing, I'm
kind of sitting still on this at the moment.

I still use the bluetooth for images though.  And it works really good.
  I can take a picture from the digital camera, edit, scale, and crop it
to my liking and send it to the phone.  This saves me from sending it
through email to the phone and getting charged for a picture message.

Granted a RAZOR is a far cry from a Palm, but so far syncing with my
phone is painless.  As long as the software that you are using to sync
with the Palm supports a bluetooth connection, I should work out good.
I'm running all this on a personal server and I haven't had any lockups
or crashes or anything.  It's been really smooth and stable, and I just
got a cheep adapter.

As I said a RAZOR is a far cry from a Palm, but I hope this helps a
little.  Good luck.

Chris