From: "Steve" <k0sdh at visi.com>
To: "TCLUG reflector" <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:06:31 -0600
Subject: [tclug-list] Small Linux Distro

Need Help,
The "Little Brothers, Friends of the Elderly" organization in the Twin
Cities area helps older people live an interesting life, especially
those whose spouses/significant others are deceased.  It is primarily a
non-profit supported by contributions of money and time by volunteer
helpers/workers.  You may or maynot be familiar; sorry for verbage if
you are.

O.K. they replaced all the office computers recently and now have a
dozen or so which they would like to place in elder/client homes for
their use.  I have volunteered to erase all office data on hard drive
and install email and word processing software.

Now we are getting to the problem; the computers have MS Windows 2000
Pro as OS and most have only 15 gig hard drives (a couple only have 2
gig drives - those probably won't be used).  The boxes are password
protected and the pw's are not always available.  So my thinking is to
reformat & install Linux (my experience is quite limited).

I have downloaded Ubuntu 5.10 at home, wrote to a CD and installed on a
box.   It works great but required considerably more than 15 gigs.

Is the a Linux distro plus email and word processor which can be put
into approx 10 or 12 gig drive space??

BTW - if you happen to be available during business hours Mon - Fri, you
are welcome to help with project.

Thanks,
Steve

Jeni & Steve's address now is aa0p at arrl.net