On Friday, March 17, 2006  3:40 PM, Carl Zeilon wrote:

 > >Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:40:18 -0600
 > >From: Carl Zeilon
 > >To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
 > >Subject: [tclug-list] OT - VPN over wireless
 > >
 > >First, I'm totally new to VPNs.  My wife is set up with a VPN to connect
 > >to work from home.  If I use a wired connection to my router, everything
 > >functions fine.  If I use the wireless card, failure.  After a bit of
 > >Googling I tried connecting through a neighbor's unsecured wireless
 > >network.  Tada... the VPN works.  So, my question is this - Can you only
 > >use a VPN when you are connected to an unsecured wireless network?  I
 > >can't use WPA & VPN at the same time?  Is there something else I'm
missing?

 > >Thank you,
 > >Carl
 > >
 > >_______

Thank you for all the replies.  It works!  I switched over to a Linksys
WRT-56G (running DD-WRT v23) from my D-Link DI-524 & everything
functions correctly.  I had messed around with this router about a year
ago but was disappointed with it's functionality running the Linksys
firmware.  The open source stuff at the time seemed a little flaky & so
I shelved the thing.  DD-WRT has come a long way - great.