Plenum cable is required when the cable is in a heating/AC duct aka plenum.  I think it is also required when in a duct that also
has vent pipes for water heaters, etc which might get hot.  The plenum type of cable has a "less toxic" smoke from its insulation
when it burns so it doesn't spread poison gas through the AC system of the house.

Chuck