On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 06:06:04PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 04:03:00PM -0600, Florin Iucha wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:05:14PM -0600, Ed Wilts wrote:
> > > Blanks in file names are evil...just pure evil.
> >
> > Why_do_you_say_that?_File_names_are_a_part_of_the_user_interface_and_why_should_I_bend_my_eyes_around_the_capabilities_(or_lack_thereof)_of_the_machine/program?_If_the_script_crashed_because_the_file_name_was_longer_than_14_characters_would_you_say_that_to_be_evil_as_well?
>
> Because the shell (or other command interpreter) needs to be able to
> reliably distinguish characters which are part of an argument from
> those which separate arguments.  Given the command
>
> rm blackmail letter
>
> humans can't reliably determine whether the intent is to delete one
> file named "blackmail letter" or two separate files named "blackmail"
> and "letter", so how do you expect something as simple-minded as bash
> to do so?

Sure humans can, and bash can too. The meaning is unambiguous.

> memory.  Reliable determination of "this space is part of a filename,
> that space separates filenames" is not readily solvable (and I tend
> to suspect that it's not solvable at all).

Ok, so the machine cannot guess which of the two conveniences I mean
to request at a given moment. It is not an algorithmic problem -
(think of touch instead of rm), so I expect a smart interactive shell
to prompt me to disambiguate, yet to specifiy one mandatory separator
in interpreted mode and be done with it.

florin

PS: No mouse was used when composing and sending this message ;)