On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 04:03:00PM -0600, Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:05:14PM -0600, Ed Wilts wrote:
> > Blanks in file names are evil...just pure evil.
>
> Why_do_you_say_that?_File_names_are_a_part_of_the_user_interface_and_why_should_I_bend_my_eyes_around_the_capabilities_(or_lack_thereof)_of_the_machine/program?_If_the_script_crashed_because_the_file_name_was_longer_than_14_characters_would_you_say_that_to_be_evil_as_well?

Because the shell (or other command interpreter) needs to be able to
reliably distinguish characters which are part of an argument from
those which separate arguments.  Given the command

rm blackmail letter

humans can't reliably determine whether the intent is to delete one
file named "blackmail letter" or two separate files named "blackmail"
and "letter", so how do you expect something as simple-minded as bash
to do so?

Filenames exceeding a certain length aren't really comparable, as
it's trivial to extend the maximum length and solutions are out there
for allowing arbitrarily-long strings, limited only by available
memory.  Reliable determination of "this space is part of a filename,
that space separates filenames" is not readily solvable (and I tend
to suspect that it's not solvable at all).

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that