Florin Iucha writes:

> Sure, do *you* volunteer?
>
> There were some failings:
>    - short announcement time frame
>    - not announced on the most frequented mailing list
>    - cds not showing up
>    - no install server
>    - nobody in charge of the technical side
>    - no registration/name tags
>    - no wireless until 2/3 though the time slot
> but:
>    - I've discovered the subtlety of following Broadway up to Bass Lake,
>    - met interesting people,
>    - helped few enthusiasts,
>    - seen some new and interesting stuff,
>    - had a good time!
> For me the installfest was a success and we owe big thanks to the person
> who secured the room and arranged for the drinks and pizza.
>
> Linux is a bazaar, not a catedral,

it would seem that not very many of you have been to a bazaar and do not
know how things work there,

there is no signup form
there is no directory
there is nobody there to direct you
you show up and you browse until you find what you are looking for, chances
are you do not find what you are looking for but end up finding 10 other
things that you were not looking for.
if you are lucky/smart you go with/find somebody who knows the way of the
land and holds your hand.

I showed up on saturday, quite a bit late but then again who wakes up before
10am on a saturday, i did not bring anything with me as i just showed up to
see some faces i have not seen in a long time and to help people as people
helped me when i myself was still wet behind the ears. I did not advertise
the fact that i was there to help, but those that needed help found me and i
did what i could.

I also believe that there should have been more notice, we (at realtime) do
have a firewire drive that has a small subset of what is available on
gladiator but it is not always kept up to date and it takes a while to sync
it up. Next time I will try and have that available.

Also several people have asked me why Real-Time is not as active in TCLUG
activities as it used to be. There are reasons for this, email Bob offlist
if you have questions concerning that.

--
Munir Nassar