Unfortunately, there were a few glitches in the installfest, and I literally did yell if anyone has a Ubuntu (and several other distro's) several times, but it was likely before 2.

This being my first installfest, I did have a good time, even though I was just watching and playing.

I want to thank Kevin for his work setting this up.  He put a lot of effort into this.  Yes it was a bit disorganized (as I can imagine most installfests are), but at least he tried.  Kudos to him for that!

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Mike Miller
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:51 PM
To: Florin Iucha
Cc: TCLUG List
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] [tclug-announce] Installfest this Saturday

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:46:57PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:

>>> You should have shouted louder: I had two ubuntu amd64 cds and I had
>>> the i386 cds pass through my hands on a couple of occasions. Also,
>>> there were people with cd burners that could have cooked more if need
>>> be.
>>
>> Maybe next time.  I guess people should walk into the room and start
>> yelling, literally, about what they want.  I was told to talk to the
>> man in the black shirt.  Someone thought he was in charge.  He thought
>> Ubuntu was a funny name, but that was all he knew about it.  So I left.
>
> I know geeks are introverted, I am one of them, but asking only two
> people then complaining that you drove 15 miles for nuttin' is a bit
> strange...

It's strange?  You don't know what you are talking about.  I talked to at
least three people.  If they didn't know what they were talking about they
should have said so.  No one suggested that they might have been
misinformed.  Everyone who claimed to know about the new Ubuntu CDs
claimed that they were not there.

Are you saying that you were there at 2:00 yesterday with new Ubuntu CDs?
I don't remember the name of the guy in the black shirt who I was told was
organizing things, but believe me, you didn't tell him about your CDs.
Same for all the people around the table with him.  Several of them agreed
that the new Ubuntu CDs shouldn't have been offered in the email and on
the web page because they were not available.  If you had them, no one
knew anything about it.

So what is the usual protocol at these Installfests?  People who come
looking to get an install are supposed to talk to *everyone* in the room
before they give up and go home?

>> If you had someone in charge of directing installees to installers,
>> that could help.
>
> Sure, do *you* volunteer?

I had to pick up my son at the airport at 1:40.  He brought his computer
up from La Crosse, Wisconsin, for a weekend visit.  That meant that I
didn't have a lot of time to volunteer.  I also didn't have a lot of time
for someone to do an install, which is one of the reasons that I didn't
hang out for an hour (also, he wanted to go shopping for a guitar).  It
seemed like everyone was busy when we got there.

In the future, I can help to some degree, but I wouldn't be able to do the
installing, so what would you want me to do?  It would be easiest for me
to donate money and CDs.

Another thing that I thought I could do that might help was to suggest
that you have one person in charge of greeting people who are looking for
installs and directing them to appropriate installers.  If you want me to
do that next time, I could do it for two hours.

Mike