While I couldn't attend this installfest, I have to comment on the
mailing list traffic that followed.

<rant>
First of all, you should be thanking Clay for organizing the
installfest.  It's not an easy task.  And so what if it was on short
notice?  Most installfests are and generally it all works out.  Why?
Because of the people who participate.  Over the years a lot of TCLUG
members have given countless hours of their time to help others, all
at no cost to you.  Think about it.  Not to mention all the media that
goes out, usually at minimal or no cost.

TCLUG is a volunteer organization.  Anyone can step up and help.
We're always looking for folks to help organize installfests, secure
topics and speakers for monthly meetings, and help keep the website up
to date.  Instead of just complaining, step up and offer to help, and
stick to you word.  Plenty of people say they will do something, only
to vanish when the time comes to deliver.

Everyone expects to be fed and watered at an installfest.  Someone has
to collect money from everyone, order the food, clean up afterwards,
etc.  Again, another organizational task  of an installfest.

As for someone not knowing what Ubuntu is...I don't blame them.  There
are so many Linux distros today it's impossible for anyone to keep up.
 Have you heard of the one called Tiny Sofa?[1]  I hadn't.  You can't
expect to walk into a room and have someone walk up to you with all
the answers.  Installfests are about getting together with other Linux
folks and sharing knowledge, not just having _your_ needs met.  Talk
to people.  It's a human thing.  Try it.

On the installfest server:  this one has come up many times in the
past.  It takes time to build such a box and download all the current
distros.  We've tried asking on the registration form what distros
folks are interested in.  Yet, when the installfest arrives, there's
always someone complaining because we don't have the latest distro XYZ
available.  Plus the box needs a burner, huge amounts of disk, a fast
CPU, and lots of memory to handle the load of an installfest, ie, you
need a current system.  Most of us don't have the budget or time to
maintain such a system.  There's also the issue of the "keeper" of the
box and how can we be sure it will show up at the next installfest?
Again, not an easy task and I encourage you to try.

Just think before you fire off that angry email.
</rant>

To all the folks who have participated and helped out at TCLUG
installfests, meetings, beer meetings, and other gatherings, over the
last 8 years a big thanks goes out to you.  Your efforts are much
appreciated.

Scot Jenkins
--
[1] http://www.tinysofa.org/