On Jun 11, 2006, at 3:49 PM, Chad Walstrom wrote:

> Which is why we dropped Vonage like a rock.  If they would instead
> have a simple VoIP-to-POTS converter, we might have kept them around.
> They needed their grubby little fingers in my router, so they were
> booted.  Buh-bye.

After my initial attempt to do some packet sniffing was unsuccessful
I decided to make a bit of a project of it. I built a simple passive
ethernet TAP from the instructions at:

http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/

Unfortunately, I still haven't got any more info. I put the TAP
between my Linksys (Vonage-enabled) router and my cable modem and set
up my laptop so it would have a static IP on the same network as my
external IP (netmask 255.255.254.0 in my case). I started up ethereal
and didn't capture a single packet from either TAP port.

Has anyone ever used one of these homebuilt TAPs before? Am I using
it correctly?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson, The Savvy Technologist