Tim, Chad and all: See my comments below.

On 6/11/06, Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net> wrote:

> Tim Wilson <wilson at visi.com>  wrote:
> > ...but since my Vonage service is built into my Linksys router  I
> > don't think I can sniff anything of relevance.
>
> Which is why we dropped Vonage like a rock.  If they would instead
> have a simple VoIP-to-POTS converter, we might have kept them around.
> They needed their grubby little fingers in my router, so they were
> booted.  Buh-bye.
>
> We're probably going to get Qwest soon, as soon as I finish wiring up
> (re-wiring) the 1st floor.

I use Sunrocket as an alternative to Vonage. It has a simple(define simple)
VoIP to POTS converter, called an AC-211.  I belive it is about $200 per
year, about $16.66 per month. It works fine either directly connected to the
cable modem, or behind a router/NAT gateway. It has all of the features you
expect including voicemail and a web interface.   It is SIP complient
although they don't promote that fact.

I've never tried monitoring the network traffic, so I don't know how that
goes. Being SIP complient should help in finding documentation though.

Third Party Forum - http://www.sunrocketforum.com/index.php
Company Website - http://www.sunrocket.com/features/built-in/
Info on SIP - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol