For those who don't want to read, how to I make mii-tool work with the
forcedeth driver?

For those who want a bit of background:

I'm currently running a reasonably recent version of Gentoo on one of my
machines. That machine has an nForce4 board with one of the 2 network
interfaces being the nForce one. I have had the forcedeth kernel module
installed for some time, but only brought the interface up within the
last 2 days. I've never really had any problems in the past with that
driver on any of my other machines (about 5) but for some reason the
link-speed autodetect isn't working.

Here are some stats:

# uname -a
Linux silverback 2.6.15.1 #2 Fri Jun 9 09:02:28 CDT 2006 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Jun  9 09:09:25 silverback forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.48.
Jun  9 09:09:25 silverback eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 010f1:2865 bound to 0000:00:0a.0

 # ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 10Mb/s
        Duplex: Half
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: externel
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: d
        Link detected: no
# mii-tool -V
mii-tool.c 1.9 2000/04/28 00:56:08 (David Hinds)

# mii-tool eth0
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported

According to my hosting provider, the port I'm on should be
100baseTx/Full Duplex, but the auto-negotiation for some reason selects
10Mb Half duplex. Obviously, that means the interface doesn't get to be
on the network... :(. As you can see, mii-tool isn't working, so I can't
manually set it to the correct speed and duplex.

I'm pleading...does anyone have an nforce board and can they
successfully use mii-tool? If so, any help would be REALLY appreciated.
Even any pointers on how to manually set the link speed or get
auto-negotiate to work right.

Thanks to you all in advance.

	<http://www.plaudit.com/>
Matt Dittbenner