Josh Welch wrote:

> I've not heard about a 2Gb limit with JVM's before,

> or it could be that I've just not heard of it before.

That would be the correct answer :)

On a 32 bit system, the cap is somewhere between 1.2 and 2 GB.  It seems
to vary a bit from platform to platform, and VM to VM, but its
definitely a hard limit.  Sun's documentation on what that hard limit
will be per platform is rather sketchy... but the JVM simply won't start
with a -Xmx value higher than the magic limit number for your hardware
configuration.

Gotta go 64 bit if you want to use higher -Xmx numbers.

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust