>>So do I run Ubuntu from the Desktop CD, open a terminal window and type
"gparted" on the command line?  Or do I have to download gparted separately
(gparted live CD?).  Will it be tricky to understand how to use that -- I
haven't used gparted before.

Gparted is included in the CD, system > administration >gnome partition
editor.  It's dead simple, if you know your way around a partition list, it
shouldn't give you any problems.

>>Does the partition editor not work at all or does it damage things?

The editor in the install script will tell you it completed the operations
successfully, but if you go back and view the partitions, it shows that your
newly created partitions are of unknown type.