On Sunday 04 June 2006 20:29, Bryan A. Zimmer wrote:
> Instantly I get a message to the effect of "repo not found". I wasn't
> successful in finding useful help text for this error.

'repo not found' is likely from yum - it looks like it might be misconfigured.
What files are in /etc/yum.repos.d ?

Pirut is a (very new) graphical frontend to yum, which is a frontend to
Fedora's repositories (core, updates, extras).  If you run 'yum check-update'
as root, does it die terribly?  Do you have a net connection on this machine?

> "Hey, install every package that's not already installed. Oh, by the way,
> resolve the dependencies and install whatever is necessary to meet the
> dependencies."

That would be approximately 'yum localinstall *.rpm' - but - some packages may
conflict (postfix and sendmail for example) and it probably will die.  Your
best bet is to fix up yum so that you can use pirut.

> 2. Does anyone know the rpm syntax meaning "install whatever packages
> available that are not already installed, resolving the dependencies and
> installing those as appropriate?"

That's way too complicated for RPM, which only does sanity checking for
dependencies.

Dave