Hello again,

You all were so good giving me just the answer I needed before, so I thought
I would try again:

I have a Fedora Core 5 installation. I would like to update it so that all
available redhat distribution software is installed.

I often log in at runlevel 5 and use the Gnome window manager. Then I tried
the program "Update Software" from one of the menus, typed in the root
password (apparently, the program invoked was "pirut").

Instantly I get a message to the effect of "repo not found". I wasn't
successful in finding useful help text for this error.

Undaunted, I logged into a virtual terminal in text mode, plopped in the
installation DVD, accessed the RPM directory, then realized I didn't know
the command that would say:

"Hey, install every package that's not already installed. Oh, by the way,
resolve the dependencies and install whatever is necessary to meet the
dependencies."

Back in the old days I used to just brute-force install by saying:

# rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *rpm

but nowadays things have gotten more sophisticated. I must admit, the rpm
man page leaves me wondering about whether it's time to get the laundry yet.
(It's THAT interesting).

So, in short, my question has two parts:

1. I tried to do a full install in the first place. Why am I missing a
database called "repo" by the pirut program?

2. Does anyone know the rpm syntax meaning "install whatever packages
available that are not already installed, resolving the dependencies and
installing those as appropriate?"

Thanks for your consideration of this matter. And I hope the installfest was
a good time.

Bryan A. Zimmer

baz at winternet dot com