On 7/31/06, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Dave Sherman wrote:
>
> > One of my design goals is to avoid having a computer in every room where
> > I want to listen to music or watch video. I would much rather run A/V
> > cables from a central server out to various wall jacks, where I can
> > simply plug in speakers and/or a TV.
>
> OK, but you'll want to control the server remotely to make it play
> something in your room.  You could use a laptop, wifi and VNC, say.  And
> then you have to run multiple audio cards and multiple video cards on the
> one server machine.  It seems like that would be tricky.

Yeah, it might be a challenge. I just don't want to clutter up every room in
the house with a computer. As long as my wife and I can carry our wireless
laptops around, we can access the server via web interface or VNC or
whatever.

Another possibility is to do something with these devices:

> http://www.chippc.com/products/jackpc/jackpc.asp

OK those are interesting... for other applications. Heck, I could use those
at my company where we currently have thin clients. Unfortunately they still
require keyboard/monitor/mouse, which is what we are trying to avoid at my
house.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSA, MCSE, CCNA