On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Dave Sherman wrote:

> One of my design goals is to avoid having a computer in every room where
> I want to listen to music or watch video. I would much rather run A/V
> cables from a central server out to various wall jacks, where I can
> simply plug in speakers and/or a TV.

OK, but you'll want to control the server remotely to make it play
something in your room.  You could use a laptop, wifi and VNC, say.  And
then you have to run multiple audio cards and multiple video cards on the
one server machine.  It seems like that would be tricky.

Another possibility is to do something with these devices:

http://www.chippc.com/products/jackpc/jackpc.asp

Mike