On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Dave Sherman wrote:

> One of my design goals is to NOT require a computer in every room, except
> maybe a laptop to access the server and tell it where to send the output.
> I'm not sure if we need to install separate sound and video cards for each
> room, or what.

I don't see how you could get away with it without a separate output
channel for each room.

I built a media computer for nothing but audio a while ago. It only
outputs to one room (living room, through the stereo). I set it up with a
web interface so you could control it from any computer in the house, and
let me tell you, that was EXTREMELY ANNOYING.

I installed MythTV and built an IR Receiver, and that works perfetly.
Piece of cake to install and setup on debian (then again, I don't record
TV on it). My only problem is that MythMusic's music selection interface
kinda sucks - but since it's designed for a remote-control, it can't be as
nice as a browser.

I think if you install several sound devices and video devices, you should
be just fine. Run several iterations of mythtv, and have them output to
/dev/dsp0 and dsp1, etc. Then run the frontend on whatever laptop for
whatever room you're in.

-Yaron