On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 at 01.35.03 -0500, Chuck Cole wrote:
> Several kinds of applications require more than 8 digit precision.
> HP calculators are the only ones that have at least 10 digits of
> precision throughout.  We could not use TI scientific calculators except
> as slide rule replacements because of their 8 digit limited precision.
> Discovering that 8 digits was not enough at all in these applications
> made a deep impression on me.

Ten digits on a slide rule?  How exactly does that work?  Given that a
normal ten-inch slide rule has three digits of precision throughout the
scale (four on the left side, blah blah), you'd need a slide rule 106
feet long to get ten digits.  I don't know how much precision a five-inch
pocket slide rule has, so maybe I'm off buy one factor of two.

`Three digits is enough for most things' was the slide rule mantra.

--
Sidney CAMMERESI
http://www.cheesecake.org/sac/