Several kinds of applications require more than 8 digit precision.  HP
calculators are the only ones that have at least 10 digits of precision
throughout.  We could not use TI scientific calculators except as slide
rule replacements because of their 8 digit limited precision.
Discovering that 8 digits was not enough at all in these applications
made a deep impression on me.

Chuck