On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Bob Hartmann wrote:

> Not a question, more a point of conversation-- Of course there are sites
> that are simply so ignorant as to offer .wm* as the only way..  we know
> what to do with that, right?  Use Windows or don't bother.

I haven't used it myself, but I've been told that MPlayer can play just
about any video format (and bypass most DRM features).  I guess it uses
some codecs to deal with WMV and other tricky formats:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/info.html

Also, from Wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMV

    WMV files are played by players such as MPlayer or Windows Media
    Player, the latter being only available for Microsoft Windows and
    Macintosh systems. Many third-party players exist for various platforms
    such as Linux that use the FFmpeg implementation of the WMV codecs.

Mike