On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 at 14.46.35 +0000, auditodd at comcast.net wrote:
> > On 7/14/06, auditodd at comcast.net <auditodd at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > My advice though, forget software RAID. Too unstable.
> > > I had 3 80Gig drives set up with software RAID5 and we lost
> > > power Monday night (yeah I know, I should have had it on a
> > > UPS). RAID go bye-bye! :-) A quick Google of the situation
>
> A couple sites that I found via Google mentioned that software RAID was
> still buggy and unreliable (yeah, yeah I know, don't believe everything
> your read in forums). I also found the data transfer speed onto the
> software RAID to be a bit slow, about half as fast as an FTP or copy
> onto a regular Samba shared folder/drive. I copied a 4Gig DVD ISO

Maybe that's because RAID 5 costs 50% in write performance regardless
of how it's implemented?

I've used Linux's software RAID for a while and have had several failures
and everything went fine for the most part.  One time a SCSI bus got
freaked out, but that wasn't the end of the world.

--
Sidney CAMMERESI
http://www.cheesecake.org/sac/