From: "John T. Hoffoss" <john.t.hoffoss at gmail.com>
> On 7/14/06, auditodd at comcast.net <auditodd at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I just started to play with FreeNAS.
> > If you have an old PC laying around, it works fairly well.
> >
> > My advice though, forget software RAID. Too unstable.
> > I had 3 80Gig drives set up with software RAID5 and we lost
> > power Monday night (yeah I know, I should have had it on a
> > UPS). RAID go bye-bye! :-) A quick Google of the situation
> > showed that it just wasn't worth my time to try and recover
> > the RAID or data since the data was backed up elsewhere.
>
> Why/How did the RAID fail? was it mid-write or something? Shouldn't
> that come out fine, as if they had been three separate drives in the
> first place? I've never done a lot of reading up on it, but I was
> under the impressions software RAID worked just fine.

I'm not sure "how" it failed. I noticed it was down and powered it back up,
then my stepson mentioned that the power had gone out the night before.
After it came up, I logged in and the RAID was "offline" so I tried to restart
it and it said it was already starting up. So I let it sit overnight and the
next day it was started, but the mount point was hosed. I can't
remember exactly what I found via Google, but I thought the heck with it.

A couple sites that I found via Google mentioned that software RAID was
still buggy and unreliable (yeah, yeah I know, don't believe everything
your read in forums). I also found the data transfer speed onto the
software RAID to be a bit slow, about half as fast as an FTP or copy
onto a regular Samba shared folder/drive. I copied a 4Gig DVD ISO
image to and from the software RAID and it took at least twice as
long to finish compared to the Samba share I had on my Linux server,
which was the same make/model of 80Gig drive, but not in a software
RAID.
--
----
------