On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 05:32:14PM +0000, auditodd at comcast.net wrote:
> I like their web mail interface (it's what I'm using to write this email).

And we don't :-).  Your lines aren't wrapping...

> I have a Smoothwall firewall and have noticed that the public IP
> rarely changes (very handy for setting up VPN tunnels). It just
> recently changed, but I noticed that they also finally changed router
> names from AT&T names to Comcast (traceroute is your friend!).

I haven't been monitoring my IP addresses by I have a dynamic dns set up
so that I can ssh in to my home server from work.

> I haven't tried running my own mail server or web server, but have
> contemplated running a web server via dyndns.

I wrote up some instructions a few years ago when I was running some web
servers at home.  I haven't checked to see how current it is but a lot
of people still read the page.
http://ewilts.org/dynamicdns.htm
I currently use dyndns.org for my dynamic dns server and ddclient to
keep it up to date.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, RHCE