On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 09:33:32AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Ed Wilts wrote:
>
> >The basic speed is fast enough for me - I see 500MB/sec downloads
> >regularly.  I wish I could get faster uploads though.
>
> That's a typo.  Did you mean 500KB/sec?  That would be 4Mb/sec. (using 'B'
> for byte and 'b' for bit).

Yeah, that's what I meant.  When you play all day with terabytes of
storage, the difference between a kilobyte and a megabyte gets lost in
the ether.  I just wish I could get get 500MB/sec :-).  Hmmm, an ISO in
about a second....

I ran a speed test at bandwidthplace.com and it came back with:
4.4 megabits per second

toast.net came back at 4642 Kbps.

speakeasy (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/) comes back with:
Download Speed: 5468 kbps (683.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 340 kbps (42.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

The speeds vary, of course, but on speakeasy they're all in the 5400+
range on downloads and 305-340 on upload.

Good enough for me.  The only complaints I have is on the upload speed
if I'm uploading pictures to my ISP.  And even that is not *that* bad.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org