On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 11:16:46PM -0500, Sidney Cammeresi wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 at 22.41.42 -0500, David Alanis wrote:
> > I live in Burnsville and I have Comcast 8 Megs down, not bad. I think
> > the price runs 59.99, but for the first six months runs at 39.99 or
> > 29.99 might want to check their website. Otherwise, let us know where
> > your location will be.
>
> Comcast's service is unreliable, and their customer service is fucking
> horrible.

I haven't had any major issues with Comcast's 2-way service and I've
been a customer since their cable offering was cable-down and modem-up
(now *that* sucked!).  I've only had to call their customer service a
couple of times and they weren't bad at all - definitely much better
than my Dodge dealer in Roseville!

The basic speed is fast enough for me - I see 500MB/sec downloads
regularly.  I wish I could get faster uploads though.

One big advantage that I see for Comcast is that they run Brightmail's
spam filters - they do a pretty decent job.

I have my own domains that I host at phpwebhosting.com and have my email
from there forwarded to comcast for spam filtering which I then suck
down to my desktops.   phpwebhosting charges only $10/month for my 2
domains.

A *long* time ago, I had issues when one of Comcast's predecessors
blocked port 80 so I don't run http at home any more (although when I
moved my services to another port back then, it worked fine).  I've
never had an issue with them blocking ssh.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA