>>> Tim Wilson <wilson at visi.com> 01/30/06 10:38 AM >>>
On Jan 30, 2006, at 10:29 AM, jim scott wrote:
> Hello, all. I'm going to connect up 2 Linux boxes on a home
> network. I'll connect the boxes and my DSL router/modem to a
> switch. Right now, I've got all incoming services disabled on both
> computers -- no telnet, no ftp, no rsh. I would like to be able to
> copy data from one PC to the other. What's the most secure service
> I can  use for occasional data transfer between the two PCs? Thanks

> for any advice.
I would install ssh on each box and then use rsync over ssh to move
files. If you configure ssh to allow RSA logins then you wouldn't
even need to enter your username and password each time. It's a great

way to script automatic backups.

I agree with Tim, and I wrote this to keep me from forgetting the
details:
  http://www.jdmz.net/ssh/
Good luck,
Troy