On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 23:27 +0000, Charlie O wrote:
> I googled a bit on the screen res, and apparently older CRT monitors
> are mainly 4:3 aspect ratio, while some of the newer large LCD
> displays are 5:4.

That shouldn't have anything to do with the resolutions the display
supports.

> I am wondering if this has anything to do with 1280x1024 not being
> recognized as a valid Mode name on my machine - although whether that
> is at hardware level (a 2003 machine from General Nanosys with an
> on-board Sis video driver), or software driver level, or higher, I
> have no clue.

Xorg should attempt to communicate with the monitor with the DDC
protocol to get EDID information about the display, including its size
and the supported video modes.  I'd expect that to be logged to the
Xorg.0.log file (so you might send that to the list to get some more
eyeballs on it), though maybe the driver for your video card doesn't do
that.

I googled around for your monitor, and found that someone suggested
setting the VertRefresh value to 60 (rather than a range), and that
seemed to help [http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2491823.html]

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>