This is a follow-up to my earlier posting about not getting 1280x1024 to
work with Slackware 10.1 despite modifying xorg.conf.

I googled a bit on the screen res, and apparently older CRT monitors are
mainly 4:3 aspect ratio, while some of the newer large LCD displays are 5:4.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with 1280x1024 not being
recognized as a valid Mode name on my machine - although whether that is at
hardware level (a 2003 machine from General Nanosys with an on-board Sis
video driver), or software driver level, or higher, I have no clue.

Does anyone have experience with xorg and newer large LCD displays? Any rays
of light on this subject?

Thanks,

Charlie O