On 1/25/06, G J <iipreca at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router/switch coming off of my satellite
> modem, which goes into 2-3 machines. I have an older PII 350 MHz that I
> would like to turn into a hardware firewall. Can I put it between the
> modem
> and the Linksys on the "internet" side of the Linksys, or do I have to put
> it between the Linksys and the rest of my machines? I would like to keep
> the
> Linksys in the loop since it of course has extra firewall capabilities in
> it
> already.
>    Second question is what do you guys recommend I use as a firewall, I
> have
> RH Fedora Core 4 but it seems there are other "hardened" SELINUX versions
> out there, any input is appreciated.

If that is your switch for your various computers, put the firewall between
it and your modem.

2 NIC's inside your computer for red/green networks will be sufficient.

I use Smoothwall currently, and have used IPCop.  Both are good products.

Out of curiosity, why the desire to put a hardware firewall in?  IIRC, there
is a Linux based prject out for that device.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..