On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 04:12:39PM -0600, markmit at mn.rr.com wrote:
> I'm fairly experienced with desktop linux, but not so much with mail
> service.
>
> My network consists of;
> HW firewall/router/wireless access point
> vlad - Debian stable - headless samba server / misc workhorse
> aptiva - Debian testing - desktop
> thinkpad - Debian testing - laptop
> sethra - Win ME - Wife/kids email/games
>
> What I want is to be able to do all my email stuff on vlad.  Either via
> ssh remotely or local network via CLI, or from aptiva or thinkpad from
> the local network.  And spam filtering, hopefully.  For now, this only
> has to support my account, perhaps my wife's someday, so no more than a
> couple hundred messages a day.
>
> In my fumblings, I've gotten fetchmail on vlad to retrieve mail from my
> pop server, and sent mail (mostly) successfully with exim, so the CLI
> part of this is basically sorted.  What do I use to allow aptiva and
> thinkpad to see/manipulate the email on vlad via (for example) kmail?

You simply need a POP3 or IMAP server.  I've wu-imapd in the past and
currently use dovecot.  http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/
Works like a charm and is fairly simple to set up.  I'm not a debian guy
so I don't know what it takes to get it installed but according to the
dovecot download page, it's as simple as apt-get install dovecot

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA