On Wednesday 28 December 2005 10:25 am, Erik Anderson wrote:
> On 12/28/05, Mark J. Kroska <MKroska at kdv.com> wrote:
> > Erik--
> > As long as you have enough free interfaces to handle the T-1s you should
> > be fine -- conditionally.
> > Generally the issue is the amount of RAM needed to do routing long before
> > CPU power.
> > If you are doing static routing you should be more than fine...you could
> > probably have 8 or more T-1s without running low on CPU resources.
> > If you were doing dynamic routing the CPU still may not be getting
> > hammered, again the RAM would be the limiting factor.  (Dynamic routing
> > meaning RIP, OSPF, BGP, etc.  The more complex the routing tables, the
> > more CPU power you need)
> > I've successfully run 2 T-1s with a 'light' BGP load with 64MB RAM before
> > (in a staging environment), and it barely scratched the CPU, where the
> > RAM was nearly fully utilized.
> > Out of curiosity, how much RAM does the unit have?  What type of
> > interfaces will you be terminating with?
> > Will any of the T-1s be bonded/multiplexed or channelized?
> >
> > Another factor to consider if you don't have the interfaces purchased:
> > not all T-1 interfaces work with all levels of firmware.  I ran into an
> > issue with a newer WIC and an older firmware--it wouldn't even detect it!
>
> Thanks for the info, Mark.  In our case, we'll be using one 2651 to
> terminate all the T1s, which will then connect to a second 2651 which
> will do the routing.  For the time being, it's all static routing.

You should be fine, however there are circumstances that may arise that could
cause you trouble.  I have a similar setup (2610XM) and I'm doing BGP and
Multilink on.  Normally everything is fine, but recently we experienced a
DDOS SYN flood attack.  My router was swamped, memory useage was fine, but
processor useage maxed out due to the large number of packets.

Just something to keep in mind.

-scheides