On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:37:21PM -0600, Arkajyoti Misra wrote:
> I am having two problems with my dual boot (FC3 and Windows XP)
> Toshiba notebook which seems to me are related to the bios.
>
> 1. A HP 1100 printer is connected to the parallel port of the
> notebook. It works fine but when I boot the machine in FC3 it does not
> see the printer and the hardware configuration wizard asks for
> keeping/withdrawing/doing nothing with the configuration. The work
> around I am using is to restore the bios setting before booting the
> machine.

What BIOS setting is that?

>          I need to do it "every" time I boot the machine in FC3. Win
> XP, however, sees the printer fine. How can I stop FC3 to change the
> bios settings?

Are you sure Linux is changing BIOS settings? That would be the first
time I hear such a thing.

> 2. I am using the network to synchronize the system clock in FC3. When
> I am using FC3 only there is no problem. But each time I boot the
> machine in XP, the system clock is changed. Again I found that the
> bios clock has been changed by FC3.  How can I fix this?

Linux thinks the system clock is UTC and compensates for the time
zone. I don't know about the specifics of Fedora, but in debian the
setting is stored in /etc/default/rcS - the value is "UTC" and on my
dual-boot machine is set to "no". Search for UTC under etc:
   cd /etc && grep -ri UTC * | less

Cheers,
florin

--
Don't question authority: they don't know either!