hmm.  it works for me.  Which version of gnome do you have installed?
I think on older releases you may have had to install an optional
gnome-vfs module to enable ssh support, but I'm not sure.  You could
try with an sftp:// uri as well.  I believe these are aliases for
eachother.
Another thing you may want to try is to register the ssh url as a
'permanent' network folder in nautilus using File > Connect to
Server... and then choose SSH service type, and set up your ssh
details.  Then this 'folder' should show up in all gtk Save dialogs
and in the 'places' menu.