On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Florin Iucha wrote:

> "There is one abuse. Here is one abuse. Therefore most uses are
> abuses." You may be generalizing too soon, I'm afraid.

No.  I'm generalizing after 8 years of heavy duty C use.  The closest
thing I've found to a "valid" non-abusive use of the comma operator is for
multi-statement macros that want to return a value, stuff like:

#define FOO(x, y) (a = (x), b = (y), x+y)

sort of stuff (that macro's bad in other ways, but it gives you an
example).  Unfortunately, I think the correct way to write that macro is
to use a static function- which pretty much all C compilers will inline.

Brian