It's best to keep things like this on list, that way other people can chime
in with their wisdom and insights :)  Hopefully someone that is more up to
speed on SUSE than I am.

just downloaded emu10k1, now i'm trying to figure out where to put it, how
> compile it, and how to tell whatever settings to use it.  tried adjusting
> the /etc/modules file but it won't let me write.. logged in as root..

Wait.  How/what is going on here?  My experience with SUSE (I used to use
it, but I've switched distros) is that if you do things inside of yast2 (as
long as what you want is supported) everything is slick.  Doing things
outside of yast2 can lead to problems when you go back into yast2.

> had troubles installing alsa too, dangit, said;
> the file /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.8-default/source/include/linux/version.h
> does
> not exist.  went there and saw the file but when clicked on it says, file
> seems to not exist.  argh.  a few lines later it said 'please, run the
> configure script first.

How were you going about this?  In the shell in the directory you unzipped
the package you downloaded?  Are you sure you have all the development
packages you need installed?

> maybe i'm still too new to linux to be trying this stuff.
> cant stop trying though, that'll get nothing done,
> besides, gotta learn it some time.  thanks all

Everyone has to hose a system at least once.  :)

 leif