I've encountered a disturbing number of el-cheapo switches lately that
couldn't negotiate properly if their life depended on it (and it did).
I actually just dealt with an almost identical problem. I was using a
Pink/Purple 8-port ABS brand switch that was free after rebates from
newegg. WHen attached to said switch, a server would get about 1Mbit
of throughput. Other devices attached to the switch would get great
throughput. I forced 100M-FD on the server and my throughput made it
to about 8Mbit. The solution: Plug the server into a linksys switch,
plug the linksys switch into the POS switch. I now pull 100Mbit from
that server without much trouble.

-Tom