Yaron wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Ed Wilts wrote:
>
>> For starters, force both ends to half duplex and see if the speed goes
>> up.  If it does, at least you know you have a duplex issue.
>
> Hmm. I tried that, and get the same exact speed either way (transferring a
> ~500Mb file). Now, here's the thing. I get this speed across the network,
> from pretty much any machine TO pretty much any machine (there's about 10
> machines). There are two switches and this happens between switches and on
> each individual switch! All the machines are (confirmed by eth/mii-tool)
> set to 100FDX. I tried the forced-hdx thing and get the same result...

So, the /machines/ are set to full duplex, but is the /switch/ also?  It
smells like your machines are speaking full, but the switch is speaking
half (or vice versa).

What happens when you let them autonegotiate?

What happens when you connect two offending machines directly to each
other with a crossover cable?

With ten machines and two switches, there are a lot of variables -- too
many.  If possible, start unplugging stuff.

If, during all this testing, you're ssh-ing from one machine to the
other nine, that machine could be the problem.

Good luck,

Eric