On 2/6/06, Eric Peterson <srcfoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> How would you rate the quality of the line? Is the down/up speed good? How
> would you compare it to cable (assuming you've had cable internet)?
>
> I had Qwest and found the latency of the line to be terrible back in 2000.
> Sometimes a key stroke would take a second or two to echo back to the screen
> in an SSH session.
>
> I would love to have 8 static addresses for that price, but only if the
> speed and reliability are there.

I wouldn't recommend it if there were major problems with it.  Up front, I
will say that I've had two problems with Qwest and my DSL line:

1)  My underground phone line got saturated a few years ago during a heavy
rain season and I would lose connection intermittently.  Had Qwest come out
and I literally made them replace the buried line and have had no issues
with the line since then.

2)  When I dropped my second line, I had to fight with them to allow me to
keep my current block of IP's and account.  I put DSL on my second line
(stupid me!) not realizing the headache I'd have in getting it switched
over.

Other than that, no real problems.  My download speeds are about 4,700 to
4,800M and upload is about 786K according to Speakeasy tests.

I've been SSH'ing into my domain on DSL since I've had DSL and over the
years it's improved.  Sometimes it's a bit slow, but nothing bad enough to
warrent my considering dropping it in favor of Cable.

BTW, I've never had cable.

Oh, and you may want to look into the DSL subscriber stuff from Qwest.  They
recently changed their policies.  http://www.qwest.com/legal

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..