On 2/2/06, Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:

> Any thoughts on this issue?  I had assumed that putting swap in the
> RAID and having one partition (say /dev/md2) as the swap partition was
> the way to go but some netizens argue that this is a performance
> problem and that if one drive goes bad it'll still boot ok even though
> one of the swap partitions is dead.

I'm more interested in the machine staying up (as opposed to just booting
up) if one of the swap drives dies, so I put swap on a RAID 1 partition. My
server is lightly loaded, and I may not be able to get to it fix it for
several days at a time, so staying up is most important to me than absolute
maximum swap performance.

> Also - I'm in the process of copying the partitions from my primary
> drive to a new drive and when I run cfdisk, /dev/sda1 is shown as
> "Dell Utility" - is this something I should try to mirror?

I believe that's the partiton that Dell keeps various diagnostic utilities
on. If you wanted to copy it to the new disk, you could, but it won't be
getting mounted under linux. Nothing to you need to try to RAID.

Steve